GirlGov is WGF’s successful civic engagement program designed to ignite high school-aged women and femme’s passion for social justice; cultivate their critical thinking, spark their interest in careers in public service, build their understanding of history and government, and prepare them as our next generation of voters, leaders, and change-makers. We accept teens from anywhere in Southwest PA and are proud to announce that we have a diverse cohort of participants from over 40 different high schools. The entire GirlGov program is offered free of charge.
In a typical year, GirlGov kicks off in September with our Fall Retreat in Pittsburgh. The program continues with twice monthly meetings in Pittsburgh. During these meetings, representatives from local advocacy organizations mentor participants in developing and implementing their own advocacy campaigns related to issues in their communities. The program culminates with a trip to Harrisburg in June, where GirlGovers meet with and shadow elected officials at the state capital.
Currently, due to Covid, we are holding our program online. We are very excited to return to in-person sessions when the CDC determines it safe to do so.
Please check back here in May for information on how to apply to the GirlGov 2021 cohort! And contact our Director of Education, Beth with any questions at email@example.com
The 2020 GirlGov Cohort is currently advocating on the following issues:
- The Environmental Justice Committee is focusing on ending fast fashion.
- The Immigration Rights Committee is pushing to shut down Berks Detention Center
- The Our Bodies Committee is demanding comprehensive sex education through efforts to get House Bill 1586 passed in Pennsylvania
- The Curricular Reform Committee is advocating for the requirement of anti-racist training for teachers
- The Disciplinary Justice Committee is passionate about ending the adultification bias of Black girls in schools.
- The Mental Health Committee wants to increase funding for mental health resources in schools.