GirlGov is WGF’s successful civic engagement program that trains high-school girls to be our next generation of leaders.
Applications for our FREE YEAR-ROUND program are NOW OPEN – Deadline to apply is June 15! Apply today! The program is free to apply and participate!
GirlGov now consists of TWO programs: Our renowned FREE year round GirlGov program, and now our NEW tuition based GirlGov Summer Leadership Academy!
Pennsylvania is consistently ranked as one of the worst states for the representation of women in government. GirlGov was created by teen women for teen women to be a systemic and long-term solution to that problem. At GirlGov, girls learn first hand about civics, government, philanthropy, youth organizing, community involvement, women’s history, and leadership. They shadow elected officials, and develop and lead their own advocacy campaigns. The program is open to all girls entering 9th to 12th grade who live in Southwest Pennsylvania. (And we hope to expand the program to other parts of Pennsylvania in the future!)
In the past, GirlGovers have:
- Organized the successful, international-headline-grabbing “Girlcott” of sexist Abercrombie and Fitch T-shirts – and that was just in the first year!
- Advocated for Sarah’s Bill (written by a GirlGov participant) to institute a Restraining Order law in PA – one of only 12 states that does not offer such protection)
- Held bake sales to illustrate the wage gap on National Equal Pay Day; men were charged $1 per item while women were charged only 75¢
- Organized Pittsburgh’s first International Day of the Girl Celebration in 2013
- Attended an invitation-only mentoring luncheon at the White House
- Introduced amazing women (and men) to the community at WGF’s annual awards gala
- Advocated for reduced school bus emissions to school boards
- Petitioned schools to include LGBTQ issues in teacher diversity training
- Raised local awareness of the conflict in Syria
- Petitioned Pittsburgh City Council to approve the Paid Sick Day ordinance
- Started a comprehensive sex education campaign in their school districts
- Organized rallies and walkouts for the March for our Lives in both DC and Pittsburgh
Using their GirlGov training, and combining it with their passions and values for social justice, our girls work to make the world a better place – and more often than not, win. We couldn’t be more proud of all that they have accomplished!